Sometimes, it is hard to muster the energy just to do it! But big goals require big work and commitment.
Now that it is September and most of the country is starting to wind down their competitive season, my favorite events are happening here in the west. The crisp air, the changing colors, the last chance to really hit it hard and the final events in series all coming to a head. Not to mention cyclocross season is soon starting. This really is the best time of the year. What we all train for. Good races, great places and events, good friends, I just get all tingly thinking about it.
Coming up on my list are:
- Xterra OffRoad Triathlon Nationals in Ogden, Utah
- Vail Outlier Offroad Festival, Vail, CO
- Outerbike, in Moab, UT
- Moab Rocks – 3 Day Mountain Bike Stage Race, Moab, UT
- Xterra World Championships- Maui, Hawaii (fingers crossed to qualify)
How do you stay motivated as the season comes to an end? Like National and World Championships aren’t motivation enough? Sometimes no. Here are some tips to keep things fresh:
- workout with friends or a group – this can be a refreshing change from all the miles and time spent slogging it alone.
- get some new gear – a new garmin, powermeter, outfit, bike, shoes, shock, grips? – whatever new shiny stuff is motivating.
- crosstrain – try something new, preferably with friends. Go for a hike up a mountain, try your hand at cyclocross, stand up paddle board, kayak, horseback ride, new is fun and you might find it will light up a passion for a new sport to keep you fit.
- set new goals – start thinking about next years plans….. turning 50? How about a marathon or and Ironman in a far away destination. Check these off the BUCKET list soon- you’re not getting any younger.
- consult a coach – they can help you review your training for this past season, figure out what worked and what didn’t and get you a serious jump start on your next season. A lot of the hard work is done in the off-season to prepare for competition for 2016.
- watch some motivational short videos on youtube to get you pumped up (search motivation in sport)- there are so many great 2-6 min pieces up on the worldwide web for your viewing pleasure.
- review your past training and events. Look at results, photos or reminisce with your training buddies, teammates or friends. Know that you have worked hard all season and you deserve to be doing well.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
“All energy is like a wave, with crests and troughs.” – Alan Watts
Life is too short! Get on it today! Be grateful for what you have and build on that to get yourself where you want to be next year! In your final races ad events of the season go all out so there is no doubt! There is no excuse for not being GREAT! Oh yeah and finish strong! These are just some things I will be telling myself when I drag myself out of my warm bed in the morning for that open water swim practice or on the 4th hill repeat when my legs are screaming and the butter is pouring from my lungs.
I hope that motivates YOU![/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]