Carbon wheelsets are one of those pieces of the bike that can make the biggest impacts on your ride performance. Wheels not unlike bikes are one of those key components to be chosen based on riding style. Like bikes, marketing $ speak strongly to customers looking for a performance advantage. Carbon wheelsets now generally are found in the $1300-$3000 range which can also buy a decent complete bike. Personally, I’d have a hard time paying anywhere close to the upper end of that range. That cool logo doesn’t offer anything over some wheelsets costing half as much. During this Review: We Are One Composities Agent Wheelset proved a prime example.
Who are We Are One Composites?
We Are One Composites is a Kamloops, BC-based company that manufactures and builds their own rims and wheelsets in-house. Led by Canadian mountain bike legend (Dustin Adams) the company has a strong focus on ultra high quality. “In the end, our production process, engineering, and rigorous manufacturing controls allow only the highest quality carbon rim to come to life. Without any hesitation, we can confidently state that We Are One is setting the bar for quality, durability, and consistency.”
We Are One Composites Agent | $1650 | Project 321 Hubs (Also built with I9 (personal favorite), Chris King and DT Swiss) | 30mm Internal rim width | https://weareonecomposites.com/ | Weight: 1896 grams with valves and tubeless tape
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
What’s so special about the We Are One Composites Agents?
- Quality to price ratio – Rim and build quality is absolutely top notch and at $1575 value is even more impressive
- Lifetime warranty
- Steering precision – I don’t think it gets much better than this. These wheels want to hold any line you point them to.
- Made in Canada – rims layed up and built in BC
- Tubeless setup is super easy, as described by the company “we guarantee you can mount your tires with a floor pump every time”
- Super high-quality finish – The finish both inside and out is incredible.
- Tire installation was a breeze and removal was just as easy yet I never had any issues with burping air even when I nailed some roots with too little air pressure.
Whats NOT so special?
- Project 321 freehub engagement. There were engagement issues that made for some disturbing noises (loud pop) as freehub pawls engaged. This didn’t happen all the time, but maybe 2-3 times per ride. Project 321 stated this was an isolated issue and did offer replacement pawls.
- Weight – At 1896 grams they aren’t for the weight weenies but for their intended enduro purpose I believe the weight is totally acceptable. These rims seem to be able to take a solid beating!
[/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
Who are the Agents for?
For riders like me that are on the smaller end of the scale (145lbs) and not particularly aggressive, the performance benefits aren’t as immediately apparent. I do have complete confidence in the Agents overall strength which is more than I can say for some other carbon wheels. More than once I may have miscalculated my air pressure and had some really hard slams into rocks. Upon looking down to find the damage, I was shocked not to find ANY damage. I couldn’t even find where the rim had impacted rock.
The Agents are well suited to hard-charging enduro riders or big guys that already have a stiff frame to take full advantage of the lateral stiffness these wheels offer. We Are One Composites Agents offers precise precision in the rough with high lateral stiffness and should hold up to the most abusive riding styles.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]